Re: [stella] Bensema's Playfield instructional

Subject: Re: [stella] Bensema's Playfield instructional
From: Julian Squires <tek@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 20:31:41 -021800
On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 03:55:00PM -0700, Pete Holland wrote:
> I'm going through Nick Bensema's "How To Draw A Playfield" but am not
>      I thought STA stored what followed the command, from memory
> location or actual number, in the A register.  The book on 6502
> programming didn't mention anything about a comma like that.  What am I
> missing?

X and Y are registers. The comma indicates that the address in question (0,
here) is indexed by X before it is stored in A.

The 6502 has a bunch of useful addressing modes. Two others you
may not have encountered yet (a good book on 6502 assembler will
help you, here):
 indirect absolute LDA ($8000)
 indexed indirect  CMP ($42, X)
 indirect indexed  ADC ($42), Y

Assembly is fun... also, not enough people use the undocumented
instructions (hint to list!)...

--
  -/
 /-                  <js@xxxxxxx>