Re: [stella] WSYNC and RESPx questions

Subject: Re: [stella] WSYNC and RESPx questions
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:38:20 +0200
At 16:37 23.08.99 +0200, you wrote:

>Thanks, i didn't know, that there are the same
>restrictions for RESxx as for HMxx. I haven't found
>this valuable information in the big-file or the
>archives.

It happens with all registers that affect the internal
positioning counters, like RESxx, HMxx and HMCLR. I
posted a test program for this some time ago, but if
you don't have a real VCS to try it on, it's probably
not that helpfull for you.

>I think you must be right (there was some discussion
>about this some time ago), but i still got the problem
>with the riveraid-listing. If my tests aren't
>completly wrong, WSYNC sometimes would start at cycle
>74, which should show some errors.

Without analyzing the whole code it's difficult to tell
if this case ever occurs or not. But even if it does, it
shouldn't be much of a problem. This happens only in lines
where the planes get positioned, so all that should be in
the same scanline would be the reflected playfield and
maybe a shot or the players plane. If one scanline gets
doubled here for one frame every now and then, it would
be very hard to notice that at all.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg