Re: [stella] Superchip?

Subject: Re: [stella] Superchip?
From: kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:08:28 +0200
At Oct. 15th, Desmet wrote:

>BTW
>If I'm not mistaken, the pitfallII chip is capable of 4 channel sound, not
>just three.  The onboard sound generaters, when sampled into one of the
>atari's volume registers creates three, leaving one of the atari's sound
>channels free.  (Anyone know how pitfallII divided up the three channels
>it uses into these 4?)

As far as I remember, the music itself in Pitfall II is three-voice, but
there is also a rhythm track (nothing great, like on an early Casio, if you
remember those - they were lately sampled in some dance tracks) which I
suppose is done with the remaining internal sound channel. In addition to
that, there are in-game-sounds, but I think they mask out at least one of
the other channels when they occur.