Re: [stella] Are 7800 demos legal???

Subject: Re: [stella] Are 7800 demos legal???
From: Krueger <resqsoft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 17:28:48 -0800
Ruffin Bailey wrote:

> >Almost all other games
> >have the encryption check run over the complete code and not just the
> >top 4kb and they never jump out of that area, so their ROM images can't
> >be used for homebrew games.
>
> Okay, if you're willing to stomach a few more naive questions...
>
> I assume Atari did the encrypting for game publishers, and that's why the
> encryption check is "run over the complete code"?  How does the check work
> that the check's run over only the first 4k in the homebrew scenario and
> over 16k (or what have you) of another game?  Can you tell the encryption
> check to just check out the first, say, 4 bytes of a game which includes a
> jmp (that is, what part of the cart tells the check to stop after 4k in the
> homebrew example)?
>
> Sorry for the totally uniformed questions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ruffin Bailey

Perhaps we could ask Dave Stauges, He was one of the developers of teh 7800
dev kit. Anybody have his email per chnace?

Take care,
Lee
--

ResQsoft Research & Technology: <http://home.earthlink.net/~resqsoft>
Check out the Atari 2600 CD Compilation for play on your Supercharger:

"No Atari; no fun" <==> "Know Atari; know fun" /|\
"Save the Whales; Buy the whole set"
"On the other hand; you have different fingers"
"God, Please protect me from your followers."