RE: [stella] Are 7800 demos legal???

Subject: RE: [stella] Are 7800 demos legal???
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 09:02:08 -0800
At 06:02 PM 11/24/99 -0800, you wrote:
> that.  So even if they could prove that they still
> have a proprietary
> interest in this stuff, it would not be worth their
> while to waste any time
> on it.
Am I the only one who sees something awry in Hasbro
releasing a system where no one has yet to figure out
a way around the encryption software?

Hasbro isn't releasing any hardware systems, although the Lynx might make sense (it's certainly better than Game.com). The only interest Hasbro has in the old Atari properties are the games themselves. I don't think they have any real-world interest in protecting the original operating system source code, original hardware designs, encryption schemes, and so on. The reason 4-Play and others haven't gotten the encryption stuff from Hasbro has more to do with Hasbro's apathy and the beaurocracy over there than any deliberate protection of these schemes. It costs Hasbro an arm and a leg to do the simplest things over there, like research copyright or get somebody to sift through the boxes for old disks and stuff. Just getting them to issue that announcement took a lot of prodding, I'm sure.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/