Re: [stella] Ho ho ho #2 (horizontal scrolling pla

Subject: Re: [stella] Ho ho ho #2 (horizontal scrolling pla
From: kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:25:59 +0100
On December 28th, 1999 Glenn Saunders wrote:

>Anyone have a list of games which do horizontal scrolling?  Vanguard,
>Defender, Killer Sattelites, Chopper Command, what else?

>How many provide full scrolling both vertically and horizontally in the
>same kernal?  I'm talking about scrolling with playfield graphics in tow,
>not just sprites acting as background ala Stargate.

I don't have a full list of games, but I know some games that were not
mentioned yet:

-The Activision Decathlon, in principle, does horizontal scrolling, but with
sprites only.
-Moon Patrol has got some scrolling mountains in the background.
-Astro Attack also has horizontal scrolling (this is a budget game where you
fly along with a spaceship shooting at helicopters etc., then have to pass
through a narrow maze).
-Road Runner scrolls horizontally, but I don't know how exactly, since I
don't have that game.
-Pole Position also scrolls the mountains in the background when going
through curves.
-Super Cobra: This is probably the most interesting of my list, because it
has (nearly) full-screen horizontal scrolling (which means mid-screen
changes to the playfield registers, as we know by now), which is also
important for the game. You fly along mountains, through caves etc. with
your helicopter and have to shoot ground obstacles as well as flying ones,
as well as fuel tanks for fuel supply. Parker Brothers wrote this game and
also adapted it to the Magnavox/Philips Odyssey/G7000, which is a far more
ugly platform for horizontal scrolling than the 2600.

With love (and many landscapes to scroll)
Kurt Woloch