Re: [stella] video quality....

Subject: Re: [stella] video quality....
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 07:58:55 -0800
At 07:14 PM 2/13/00 -0800, you wrote:
I play a .bin through the Stella emulator and it looks
GREAT through my PC monitor.

Almost too great, to my eyes. That's why products like Atari Arcade Hits 1 do "scanline simulation".

I play the SAME .bin through my SuperCharger and get a
"blur" or rough version of the game...  in other
words, it's just not as sharp.  This is the same with
carts vs. BIN.

That's the REAL native 2600 signal.

I've heard of a composite wiring system that would
separate the video and audio signal, thus producing
better resolution(??????)  Anyone heard of this?

Chris Wilkson graciously wired one for me that works great. There are inherent physical limitations to how good the 2600 signal can be, though. The cleaner the signal gets, the more you start to see the electrical "bleedover" in the picture. So it can never be quite perfect, but damn close.

I was hoping that he'd publish plans to his modification... I do think it's the best, composite, Y/C, and dual-channel audio.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment
Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698
Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/