Re: [stella] Try this demo, please.

Subject: Re: [stella] Try this demo, please.
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 01:17:15 -0800
At 12:17 AM 3/30/00 +0200, you wrote:
At 14.19 19/03/00 -0800, you wrote:
It has to be something like that. I tried it on PCAE, but on a real 2600
the effect might be even worse.
You'll have to count all those cycles again.. and be very careful if you do
some conditional jump inside the kernel.

Do you know if any games purposefully use "bad cycle counting" to generate interesting erratic effects on the 2600? Doesn't the cosmic ark stars thing have to do with that? And the extra digit on Commie Mutants has to do with generating a clone at the end of a scanline that actually generates the sprite on the next? Plus Video Chess that just generates colors on a rolling screen (to save time for game calculation) which looks fine other than that the color changes produce a tear at arbitrary point on the screen.

Also, doesn't Robot Tank do something like create a glitchy kernel intentionally when you get hit in order to generate a tearing and rolling display with diagonal lines?

I'm interested in knowing whether this sort of thing could be used as a feature...

Glenn Saunders - Developer - eUniverse http://www.eUniverse.com

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/