Re: [stella] Miniaturization (NES programming)

Subject: Re: [stella] Miniaturization (NES programming)
From: kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:41:07 +0200
Pete Holland wrote:

>1)  Nintendo of America had an exclusivity clause in the contracts of all
official third party developers. Anything made for the NES >couldn't appear
on another system for two years.  As a result, only a couple of games like
"Double Dragon" made it on both >systems. And with the NES having the lion's
share of the market, developers didn't want to work on the SMS.

>You're probably thinking:  doesn't the US consider that an anti-trust
violation?  Well, they did after a while.  After accusing >Nintendo of
creating an illegal monopoly, the judge ruled that they had to make
resitution in the form of rebate coupons to >Nintendo
>customers.  Whoopee.  Plus, the exclusivity clause was gone.  The first
game to benefit from it, I think, was the Genesis version of >"Batman."

>Also, let first couch this by saying this is rumor and I have absolutely no
proof whatsoever this is true.  I was working at a >department store just as
the Genny was gaining steam.  According to the department manager and
another employee from >electronics, Nintendo of America had representatives
say that, if the store gave shelf space to any other system, like the Genny
or >the then-up-and-coming Turbo Grafx 16, Nintendo would pull its support.
Since the NES was still the big seller, this struck me as >extortion.

Well... this somehow reminds me of what's happening to Microsoft right

With love (and many unknown systems to discover)
Kurt Woloch