Re: [Re: [stella] Miniaturization (NES programming)

Subject: Re: [Re: [stella] Miniaturization (NES programming)
From: kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 08:11:03 +0200
G.F. wrote:

>> The Game Gear, by the way, is closely related to the Master
>> System, hardware-wise, while the Game Boy Color to me
>> basically seems like a portable NES, maybe with a bit
>> more memory, but still the same color limitations.
>
>You have the SMS/GG relationship correct, but as far as
>hardware is concerned, there is no relation between the
>NES and GB. To start with, the NES runs on a 6502 processor;
>the Game Boy is Z-80 based... which means it is more
>closely related to the SMS and GG, which are Z-80 based.
>:-)
>
>as for color limitations,i think game boy sprites
>are limited to 2 colors from a pallette of 8
>(i could be wrong)

Then it would be worse than on the NES... ;-). No, seriously, though it may
have got another processor, when I look at screenshot of Colour Game Boy
games, they remind me of the NES very seriously... so I think that at least
the graphics hardware seems to be closely related...

>no. it has been rendered obsolete by the neo geo
>pocket color. :-(

Well... I didn't see THAT machine in stores here yet... I guess Nintendo
holds the portable gaming market here in Austria EXCLUSIVELY with the Game
boy and the Colour Game boy... which is a shame! The home systems now sold
here are mainly the Dreamcast, the N64 and the Sony Playstation, while the
home computer market consists of PC's ONLY anymore... while there have been
a variety of systems in the 80's and early 90's. Other machines, of course,
may be found in speciality shops, but in the big consumer electronics
chains, you'll find only those.

With love (and still many systems to compare)
Kurt Woloch