[stella] Aspiring 2600 developer

Subject: [stella] Aspiring 2600 developer
From: loco-1 <r.zschau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 07:24:28 +0000
Hello,

I'm a new STELLAlist subscriber.  My name is Ray Zschau and I just recently started re-collecting for the 2600 and other classic systems.  I am very interested in designing and programming my own 2600 and vectrex games.  I've spent the past month overloading myself with info from all over the 'net reading anything I can on developing for the 6500 series processor, as well as checking annonated source code for the more basic games like Combat and Adventure.

The main problem is that I don't have a background in computer programming, and I want to know if it would be easier to learn assembly by writing a few games/demos for the C64, Apple II, or other 6502 based systems before getting started on the 2600?  I also would like to know what tools/information other list users found most useful to them when they first started programming.  Any recommendations would be very helpful.

Lastly, does the list have a FAQ yet?  I recall someone was talking about it in an archived post, but I still have 2 years worth of posts to look at!  Thanks a lot for the help, I have a ton of questions and will try and space them out instead of posting them all at once.  I'll try to get up to speed as quickly as I can.

Later, Ray   (newbie from HELL?!?)  ;)