Antwort auf: OT: Saunders's quote (was Re: [stella] Obfusicated

Subject: Antwort auf: OT: Saunders's quote (was Re: [stella] Obfusicated
From: kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 08:36:03 +0200
Watthem M. Willer wrote:

>>>"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad
>>>"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler
>>How many of you actually understand what this quote should say?

>"One people, one realm, one chancellor", approximately.
> By the way, I recall the standard way of rendering an umlauted
>vowel in plain ASCII is to follow it with an 'e', so 'Fuhrer' should be
>'Fuehrer'.

I'd translate the Hitler quote with "One folk, one realm, one leader". I
don't know if the word "Fuhrer" has got a "foreign word" in the USA like
"Kindergarten" has. In this case it could be that this way of spelling it is
usual. It's also spelled that
y in the PC game "Wolfenstein".
I only wanted to make sure Glenn hasn't put up that quote without knowing
what it actually should say... and I don't know how popular that quote is in
the USA, and which meaning it has there... it's in German, my mother
language, and what's worse, my pa
nts were children under Hitler and directly affected by World War II. My
mother had to escape from Vienna, which was bombed back then, to an aunt in
Styria, and the war brought a whole deal of pain about both of them, which
in fact still affects my life
oday. Since the war drained so many resources from the people, my parents
had to find and eat what was there (the food was rationalized and could only
be bought with tickets which were distributed among the people equally), so
they learned to be content
ith very few. And of course they tought me that way when I grew up. This is
probably why I still spend so much time on cheap 2600 and other retro stuff
instead of investing much more money in the newest PC, Dreamcast or PSX
games, which I principally co
d afford to do.
So... I'd say the quote should point out that Microsoft is trying to get the
same kind of importance Hitler tried to get. And this is surely a thing to
take care of... which apparently US judges also thought when deciding
Microsoft probably will have to
plit in two parts.
Apart from that, it's also important in the view of what happened to the
Austrian government lately... I am Austrian, and right now, there are
sactions against our government by the other 14 European Union states, which
from time to time also affect the
eople in some way (Austrians not carried by taxis, Austrian athlets
disinvited from tournaments etc.). And I believe the US also supports these
sanctions. But I don't know how much about this is written in the countries
where the sanctions come from. Ov
 here, it's still in the news every day since the new government's inception
about 100 days ago. And the reason for the sanctions is that the FPÖ takes
part in the new government, which former leader, Jörg Haider, did some
sayings in public which make h
 seem next to Hitler... but that's only him, not the whole government, which
is why our government is trying to fight against those sanctions since they
were incepted.
I know this all hasn't got too much to do with our 2600 stuff, but seeing
Glenn put that quote into his signoff, I wanted to point this out. This is
no joke, I think, and it was necessary to explain it for all those who don't
speak German and thus don't
nderstand that quote. Basically, what Hitler was trying to say, in my
opinion, was that there was one kind of people (in different countries
before he put Germany and Austria together), which should be in one realm
(Germany), under one leader (him). Mic
soft, apparently, wants to say something similar with that quote... that
they want monopoly about the WWW.

With love (and many German quotes to clarify)
Kurt Woloch