[stella] Stella Programmer's Guide Overhaul Project

Subject: [stella] Stella Programmer's Guide Overhaul Project
From: "Chad & Jennifer Hendrickson" <chadh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 10:53:06 -0500
Allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Chad Hendrickson.  I live in Hoffman Estates, IL.  I spent my childhood in the '80s where my parents bought my brothers and I an Atari 2600 for Christmas in 1980.  Of course, I was hooked, playing such classics as Adventure, Combat, Missile Command, and Kaboom.  A few years later, I got an Atari 800 computer and eventually ran a BBS called The Dark Side of the Moon between 1985 and 1989.  The Atari 800 was upgraded to a 130XE somewhere along the way.  I also bought the Atari Mega ST2 around 1989.

Needless to say, I have a soft spot for Atari.

About a year and a half ago, I got hit by the collecting bug.  Since then I have collected a huge amount of classic video games from Atari to Intellivision to Vectrex, and everywhere in-between.

I also got deeply hooked on the arcade emulator better known as MAME.  It inspired me to built my own cocktail style MAME cabinet.  You can check it out at my web page http://people.ce.mediaone.net/chadh/index.htm.  I have even gone into the MAME source code and have made modifications that are now part of the official MAME load.

Anyway... very recently, I have looked into the Atari 2600 source code out there.  I have been playing with Distella and DASM.  I have even been getting results.  :)  And that is why I am here.

I thought it would be a great idea to take the "Stella Programmer's Guide" and give it an overhaul.

What do you think?

So far, I have gone though the guide that I got from the Atari Documentation Depot (http://members.xoom.com/atari_docs/) and have been slightly cleaning it up using the suggestions given on that page.  I also have spell checked it, reformatted it a bit, and fleshed it out a bit.  I also wouldn't mind taking on the role of maintaining the document and hosting it on my web site.  I want to make this the ultimate and most complete reference document for the Atari 2600.

I have a few questions:

1)  Is this a good idea?
2)  Are there any errors in the Stella Programmer's Guide?
3)  Are there any glaring (or not so glaring) omissions that should be added?
4)  What about adding some source code examples to the Guide?
5)  What would be the best (most universal) format for the document?  Right now I am using Microsoft Word 97.

You can find the updated guide on my web page at:

I'd love to hear from you.

Regards,
Chad Hendrickson