Re: [stella] Stella Programmer's Guide Overhaul Project

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella Programmer's Guide Overhaul Project
From: Pete Holland <petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 18:02:26 -0700 (PDT)
--- Erik Mooney <emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A 48-pixel-wide sprite.  Same thing as the six-digit
> score routine, except using static graphics instead
> of dynamic digits, and more height.

No kidding.  I thought the sprites were only 8 pixels
wide.  Where can I find info on the 6 digit score
routine so I can see how it's done?  Is it posted on
The Dig?  (Haven't looked there in a few months I'm
afraid.)

> The invaders are player graphics, of course.  How
> they move the rows over is just to hit RESP0 and
> RESP1 at different times.

So, it just makes three copies of the players for each
row and spaces them so that they alternate, or does it
draw one invader and, as it switches to the other
player, move the sprite over so it gets drawn again?

> As for the lots-o-missiles... all the missiles are
> actually the ball.  The invaders get two missiles,
> both drawn with the ball (since they're separated
> vertically), and you get two missiles also separated
> vertically.  Your missiles and the invader missiles
> are each drawn on alternate frames, causing flicker.

Thank you.  I thought I was going crazy.  The missiles
and bombs didn't look right, but I couldn't quite put
my finger on why.

> Missile Command's missiles are one of the players,
> cloned if necessary.  Two sets of missiles are drawn
> by flickering them on alternate frames.

Do you mean the missiles you launch to intercept, or
the ones descending towards the cities, or both?

> No flicker?  Look again, bub.  They flicker as soon
> as you turn on the system.  Notice how all the
> upwards-moving asteroids move at the same rate, and
> so do all the downwards-moving ones?  The upwards
> ones are all drawn on one frame by reusing one
> player, and the downwards ones on alternate frames
> in the same way.

I admit when I'm wrong, and you are absolutely
correct.  I just plugged Asteroids in and checked and,
yes, indeed, it is just like you explained.  I don't
know why I didn't remember the flicker.

So, if I can run with this ball, to draw the other
asteroids in progressively smaller sizes, because it
can clone the images but not change sizes, it draws
the different sized asteroids on seperate frames,
right?

Dobre utka,
Pete Holland Jr.