Re: [stella] RAM optimization

Subject: Re: [stella] RAM optimization
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:24:42 +0200
At 21:25 20.06.2000 -0700, you wrote:
>At 11:09 PM 6/20/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Unknown.  I'd give it a 50/50% chance that it either mirrors the other
>>read registers, or gives you 'nothing'(nothing is never nothing, and isn't
>>really 'random' either, but it is unknown.).  I don't know how we would
>>find this out besides trial and error.
>
>Maybe it could be a useful register for psuedorandom stuff.  Somebody
>should give it a shot.

As Mark has said it, they probably wouldn't be 'random' enough for that.
They might come up with a random value at powerup, but that value might be
the same for many times that you turn your console on. And if the value
changes during runtime, it will most probably be only a bit flipping
every now and then.

AFAIK the TIA read registers get mirrored every 16 bytes, so only two
addresses in those 16 would be 'random'

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg