Re: [stella] applications

Subject: Re: [stella] applications
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 02:06:35 -0500
At 01:33 AM 1/7/01 -0500, Chris Wilkson wrote:
>>I think a WAP viewer might be doable...
>So...I've this a couple of times now.  What *does* "WAP" stand for?

Wireless Application Protocol.  Sometimes 'application' is pluralized
depending on who's saying it.  The governing body is like wapforum.com or
.org or something, I think.

Essentially, it's a specification for delivering simplified web pages and
AIM/ICQ type applications to cell phones, car computers, VIC-20's, etc. ;)
There's a protocol side and then there's an XML-based markup language
called WML.  It's aimed at small-footprint devices with small displays, no
keyboards and very little RAM.  Just how little RAM has yet to be seen ;)

I mention the VIC-20 because someone actually wrote a WAP client for it,
but using a PC as a kind of proxy server.  I don't know if they had to do
that because of the VIC's limited RAM (like 3k if unexpanded) or because
they didn't want to implement an IP stack (understandable if there's no
other way to get WAP content, and almost certainly required in the 2600's
case as well.)

If someone were to implement WAP on the 2600, I think that would make it
the thinnest client *ever*.

Rob

kudla@xxxxxxxxx ... http://kudla.org/raindog ... Rob