Re: [stella] Asteroids question

Subject: Re: [stella] Asteroids question
From: PatMan <dgeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:19:26 -0500
"Brian Prescott" <bprescot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> asks:

>While this doesn't have anything specifically to do with programming, are
>there two released versions of Asteroids from Atari for the 2600?  A couple
>of my carts go straight to the asteroids flying around on power up, and a
>couple go to the Atari copyright message for about 5 seconds before
>proceeding to the asteroids on power up.
>
>Or is this just some kind of hiccup in my game system, the carts, or the
>program itself?

Yes I believe there are (at least) two revisions of 2600 Asteroids released.
The original release does not have the copyright message, a later release
does.  I believe the later release also has code revisions to correct
an "error" where sometimes, after losing a ship, your next ship appears
right on top of an asteroid, meaning instant death.  The later version
delays starting the next ship until the area is clear.

There might also be a revision where there are 2 extra game variations
but I am not sure if that was just a misprint somewhere along the line.