Re: [stella] The Atari 2600 Puma, where did you get those skills?

Subject: Re: [stella] The Atari 2600 Puma, where did you get those skills?
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:58:20 -0500
on 1/10/01 7:10 PM, Kevin Horton at khorton@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Typical "Atari" style
> moulds would've been multi-cavity (i.e. more than 1 part made at a time)
> and would be made out of steel.  So, $50K-$100K for a complete mould set
> for say, a 2600 or 7800 enclosure is probably not too far from the mark.

Just coming from the world of Jeeps and replacement bodies (bear with me),
wouldn't fiberglass be a possible choice?  I know you don't need quite so
fancy a mold to get it happening, but I don't know that it would provide
quite the same protection to the unit when it's dropped...

At any rate, cheaper than $100 g's.

Ruffin Bailey