[stella] Textpad

Subject: [stella] Textpad
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:11:10 -0800
At 10:05 AM 2/16/2001 +0100, you wrote:
I'd be interested in that 'Syntax File', could you mail it to me?
I didn't even know about this feature (I guess one needs to read the
manual? :-)), how is it used/accessed? I guess you use it for syntax
highlighting? Or can you define a standart pre-formatting of your
sources, too?

It's used for color coding, by classifying keywords into categories which you then edit with your class definitions through preferences. I don't think the color coding itself gets saved anywhere that can be shared, but the SYN files can be shared with others.

It goes without saying that color coding really helps readability. I've grown accustomed to that with Homesite with my CFML development and I can't live without it anymore.

I actually just went ahead and changed my color settings again. The problem with colored text over a white background is that you are limited in the colors you pick that have enough contrast over white to be seen. So I switched over to a black background. All 6502 load operations are green. Store operations are red. Transfer operations are yellow (somewhat inbetween green and red, conceptually speaking). Memory modification operations (like DEX) are purple. Compare and branching operations are light blue. VCS equates are orange (like the stripes on a woodgrain console). Comments are yellow over a dark beige. Characters like # and $ and % are aqua.

It's really easy for me to follow the code by virtue of the color and the mnemonics for the opcodes.

This as well as the VCS and 6502 snippet files really make things as simple as possible for the novice assembler.

I have the program assemble via DASM when I hit F9 and press continue. I could probably have it run a batch file instead to make it launch Makewav, but I can always use WPlayBin. I haven't gotten into the habit of testing my early code yet on the VCS because I don't think my timing is rigid enough for what I see on the emulator to actually show up on the real thing...

-