Re: [stella] Starmaster disassembled

Subject: Re: [stella] Starmaster disassembled
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 10:57:56 -0700
Imagine one big 2 dimensional map looking like this:
_______________________________________
|                   B                 |
|                                     |
|                                     |
|         ____________________        |
|         |                  |        |
|         |                  |        |
|         |        A         |        |
|         |                  |        |
|         |__________________|        |
|                                     |
|                                     |

I believe what this is is a kind of projection map. I suppose it would be effective enough.

It still doesn't take into account the distance of the enemy ships. You can't get around having 3 axes of some sort. The scaling factor of the ships acts as the Z somehow. SR adds to this with a "wide-angle lens" effect that adds to the sense of perspective. Small objects appear larger as you rotate them to the edges of the screen.

Pressing the rearview button for exmple would then be *just* moving the
pilot's point of view 1/2 of the map length up or down...

Not just up or down, what if the ship was to the left or right of the A box.

Even Elite does it like that, so I think such a reality level needs more
horsepower than a 6502 :-)

Not at all. If a Z (distance from ship) coordinate were updated for all objects each frame, then you could have a conditional section when hardware collision occurs that makes sure the Z matches or is within an acceptable fudge range that prevented a ship that's just a blip from being destroyed on the corner of the screen where your photons are supposedly just coming out of your ship.

It's kinda the difference between making a real 3D game and a simple shooting gallery game like the really fake 3D section of Gorf.