Re: Aw: Re: [stella] vcs net play ?

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] vcs net play ?
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 10:22:31 -0400
8/7/2001 5:30:11 AM, cybergoth@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>> You really need to build games with network play from the ground up.
>> The only games I could see working would be turn-based 2-player board games
>> where the graphics are a static UI waiting for input.  Checkers and such.
>
>Hm... NESticle can do _any_ 2-player NES game via LAN, trust me. We played
>Dr. Mario, Ice Hockey, Mario Bros. and several other games, never
>experiencing any problems.

The only way to do it has to be client-server, with only one computer truly
running the game and sending state updates to the client.  Peer-peer
perfect emulation like that would be impossible.

But once you're client-server, the only limitations are your bandwidth and latency,
and those only limit how often you can update state and how much delay there
is between the client player sending input and seeing the results.

-