Re: Aw: Re: [stella] TIA sound note table, now in SQL

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] TIA sound note table, now in SQL
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 11:23:52 -0700
Ok. Of course you can mix whatever notes/distortions you want to. But to
illustrate what I was talking about, I replaced

That's a bad example because there is no rationale to switch the distortions since the note and cent values are identical. Switching distortions in order to hit notes that would otherwise not be hittable might be an acceptable compromise depending on the circumstances.

For instance, the 2600 seems to produce pretty good wide intervals like octaves, 4ths and 5ths, but it doesn't do the other notes that well, like major sevenths and 2nds. If there were a song you needed to be played as originally scored, then having the timbre of the note change by picking the desired tone out of a foreign distortion might be the _only_ way to do it. I certainly would rather do that vs. rescoring around the note which can render the song unrecognizable OR hitting a wildly out of tune note in the same distortion.

The cool thing about this is you can say the distortion switching was intentional ;) It does add some character to songs. Kinda makes it more techno sounding.

To each his own.