RE: [stella] HTML version of Stella Programmer's Guide

Subject: RE: [stella] HTML version of Stella Programmer's Guide
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 20:56:29 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> At 05:34 PM 9/16/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> >Yup, that was it. Actually, that's the GTIA palette, from the Atari 400/800
> >series, but it looks identical to Jake's MacStella screenshot at
> >http://www.uvm.edu/~jpatters/ntscpalette.jpg , only smaller.
>
> Actually it's not identical.  The hues are different for one thing; note
> the greens on the left.  The GTIA one renders several colors the same RGB
> values.  The NTSCPalette image has some very close but not
> identical.  Also, the GTIA one has the luminance squashed which more
> reflects the limited dynamic range of NTSC, whereas the ntscpalette image
> expands to the full capacity of RGB.
>
> I'd go by the ntscpalette image then.
>
> I have my doubts how accurate the GTIA image is even representing
> GTIA...  If it's correct then there are a lot of duplicate colors and I
> just don't think it's like that in the 400/800.

Actually, I was looking at http://www.xmission.com/~trevin/atari/color_samples.gif
which has calculated RGB values, not an actual screenshot. To my eyes, that
looks just like Jake's ntscpalette.png, with black lines between the swatches.

You're right about the screenshot image, though, it doesn't look much like the
palette on a 400/800. The guy's using a NeXT, I wonder if it's even a color
Next? :)

Anyhow... we've about discussed this to death. I'll use the ntscpalette.png
image, with hex digits across the top & down the left hand side. It may not
be perfect, but it's a lot better than I'd do with a TV and a camera (not
being a photographer...)

Once upon a time I saw a perl script on freshmeat.net that would convert any
image into its equivalent HTML table with colored cells. The idea was to force
people who use ad-filtering proxies like Junkbuster, to have to look at the
ads on a web page anyway, since all the proxies do is block the images. At
the time I thought it was one of the most evil inventions known to Mankind,
but I have to admit, it would be useful for what we're doing here. We could
have jpeg, png, and HTML-table versions of the chart, and anyone who couldn't
view at least one of those, must not be trying too hard.

Brian

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-