Re: [stella] Your homebrew

Subject: Re: [stella] Your homebrew
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:20:52 -0700

Though choosing a simple game as the first is important, you definitely
have to choose something that you really, deep within yourself, want to
create and want to play.  If you don't, it will be very easy to become
discouraged enough to give up after a few problems.
<<

To me that means insisting on doing something original. Too many suggestions for first game programming (and this cuts across all platforms) is to clone something that's been already cloned a zillion times before. It's kinda like learning Guitar and being told to learn how to play Smoke on the Water. Devoting that much time to a game only as a pure exercise is a tough sell. You're going to want to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Death Race isn't 100% original obviously, but there haven't been a lot of home ports, and none on the 2600, none even in that genre if you consider it belonging to a defined genre. So it appeals to me.