Re: [stella] entropy & randomness

Subject: Re: [stella] entropy & randomness
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:41:10 +0100
B. Watson wrote:

>> I doubt that a bit, look at your sequence: 55, 2a, 15 is repeated within
>> only 69 bytes.

> yes... but the next byte after that, isn't the next byte in the sequence from the
> beginning.. not sure how you'd describe that, there are recurring patterns, but
> overall the sequence doesn't repeat for something like 4096 bytes.

I know, but it looks like there is some correlation between those three
values, which isn't very random. There exist 16777216 three bytes
sequences, the chances for twice the same sequence within 69 bytes are
very low.

> Is there anything actually random in Pitfall? The game seems the same
> every time...

Yes, the scenes are generated with a common "random" number generator.
See my Pitfall! disassembly post for details.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |

-