Re: [stella] OT: Programming, CS theory

Subject: Re: [stella] OT: Programming, CS theory
From: "B. Watson" <urchlay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 20:17:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Greg Miller wrote:

> Some people mistakenly assume that fewer lines of source code somehow
> result in smaller, faster programs. Such people tend to use "?" in
> preference to "if" for reasons of superstition.

Some of us just want to be able to see as much code as possible at once
on the screen... or else type as few characters as possible (laziness).
Using the `?' syntax compiles to the same code (probably, but I haven't
checked), doesn't buy you anything at all, I know... but even if I'm
doing it `wrong', at least I know why I'm doing it that way...

Actually I sling perl code for a living, not much C at all... you'd be
surprised how readable some of the code is, considering perl's reputation
for being a write-only language :)

B.

-