Re: Aw: [stella] Battleship on the 2600?

Subject: Re: Aw: [stella] Battleship on the 2600?
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 01:01:22 -0800
At 09:40 AM 3/6/2002 +0100, you wrote:
I admit it'd be a cool challenge from a programmers
sight to do it on the VCS, but the Battleship gameplay is
sooooo dead boring... :-)
'
I've always been a fan of Battleship but I agree that it needs something new added to it when turned into a videogame. The ideal example of turning a board game into a videogame is Archon, as it merges action elements in with the board game strategy. It might be possible to do something similar with Battleship by deviating from the gameplay and making it more real-time or multi-screened.

I may give it a shot since I've already had some experience working with playfield bitmaps. I also did a Battleship like game in Macromedia Flash so I've dealt with some of the basic game logic issues.

It sounds like a simpler game than Death Derby. But I doubt I'd "finish it" before I return to Death Derby. I'd like to just do a proof of concept kernel for now.