RE: Aw: Re: [stella] Star Fire: Getting Closer: Perfect Sorting solution

Subject: RE: Aw: Re: [stella] Star Fire: Getting Closer: Perfect Sorting solution
From: "Bob Colbert" <rcolbert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:26:10 -0600
I've just caught the tail end of this thread and it seems like you are
working on something very similar to what I did with my yet unfinished
Sabotage clone.  I tried a ton of different sorting routines, but found that
for the number of sprites I had (I think I had the max set at 8) the
bubble-sort won out for a couple of reasons...  First, it's predictable,
that is, the worst-case-scenario still used few-enough cycles so that I
didn't exceed the number of available cycles.  Some of the more elaborate
sorting routines are very efficient 90% of the time, but the other 10% they
suck.  That's acceptable for some applications, but not so when every sort
run must finish within a given number of iterations.  Second, it doesn't
take a lot of RAM.  I tried methods of insertion sort so that the sprite
list would maintain its sorted status naturally, and that took more time
than just using the bubble sort.  I also found that it was really a moot
point once I split my game logic across 3 frames.  Game logic does not need
to fire 60 times per second.  I had very good collision detection when only
checking 20 times per second as well as controller response.

			Bob