Re: [stella] AI primer?

Subject: Re: [stella] AI primer?
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 23:34:08 -0400
>But today's question is, "Where do I go for a Atari 2600 AI primer?"  I've

Finite state machines are very useful for varying AI for creatures in games.  I use one in Qb - the creatures in that game actually do exhibit differing behaviour (as much as I could fit in the remaining space :)   For example, the octopus moves squares out of position, the rabbit chases the player... or is it the other way around?  In any case, give each creature a table of pointers to code.  Each entry in each table corresponds to a 'reaction' to an event.  Events are global (ie: there is a unique number for each event).  For example, the 4th entry in each creature's state table can be a reaction to "creature was hit".  The creature may or may not react to that event (event 4) depending on if there is an entry in the table position.  If there is, then the creature vectors to that code, executes it, and optionally changes the state (ie: point to another state table).  This way, you can handle creatures  in a generic fashion yet build in quite sophisticated behaviour.
I'll be happy to explain more if you don't follow - but do check out the creature AI in Qb.  It's very straightforward and powerful.
Cheers