Re: [stella] new PAL & NTSC versions of Skeleton

Subject: Re: [stella] new PAL & NTSC versions of Skeleton
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:31:12 +0200
> Both versions:
> Let me know if the screen rolls at any time.  I've checked the static
> screens, but I haven't cycle counted the VBLANK interval to make sure I'm
> not exceeding it.

I've briefly tried both versions on my PAL VCS with my
Cuttle Cart. So far I haven't experienced any display
problems. And since z26 shows stable 262/312 line numbers
all the time, I don't expect any in the future.

> PAL version:
> 1. Colour.  The screens are 312 lines total (228 active), but the colours
> shown by Z26 don't match NTSC.  The death flash seems to work though...

The PAL palette is very different from the NTSC palette. You might
want to adapt the colours for the PAL version a bit. Otherwise your
game would be mostly grey, which I don't think looks too nice.

> 2. Timing.  The skeleton should start moving at 1 step/second, and
smoothly
> accelerated by 1 step/second every 2 minutes.  (e.g. 2 steps/second after
2
> minutes, 3 steps/second after 4 minutes).  My tests with Z26 seem to
> indicate that the skeleton is accelerating faster than this.

I haven't tried the game long enough to veryfy this, but to
have a game play at 50 Hz in z26 you must use the -5 command
line switch. Otherwise the normal 60 Hz video modes will be used.
Maybe this is why your game appears to run faster than expected
to you.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg