Re: [stella] Stella Emulator and .PRO files

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella Emulator and .PRO files
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 21:26:58 +0100
> "Cartridge.Name" "fukung.bin"
> "Cartridge.Type" "3F"
> ""
>
> That won't work... but this will (for my current build)...

If Cyberstella had come with a manual, I'd now say RTFM. But
since it didn't, I'll just politely suggest that you get the
Stella manual for one of the other versions and have a look
at the section about the STELLA.PRO format. ;-)

"Cartridge.Name" is the identifier that the game list gets
sorted by. (At least it used to be that way.) Therefore you
have to have that in the entry for your game. But to link
a binary to that entry you need to use "Cartridge.MD5" or
"Cartridge.Filename". So there is no need to always
calculate a MD5 checksum, as long as you keep the file name
the same. This won't help you with the problem of not being
able to specify a file name on the command line though.

> I'm writing to see how others have their emulator hooked into their
> development environment?  Me, I'm using visual studio and I hit f7 to
> compile, or f5 to compile and run.  Compilation happens, Z26 is loaded and
> my game is running almost immediately.  I can't do that with stella... and
> I'd like to be able to.

If z26 is doing what you want, why are you trying to switch to Stella
then? If you tell us what you like better about it, we might be able
to borrow those ideas for the Windows version of z26. Command line
parameters still work nicely in it. In fact that's the only UI we have
so far. ;-)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg