Re: [stella] Programming tricks guide

Subject: Re: [stella] Programming tricks guide
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 9 Feb 2003 15:35:28 -0000
I've advanced a kind of similar idea before, was thinking about
making an additional chapter  to "2600 101"

What would be most helpful to me is something that covered some
basic things...for instance, I had trouble figuring out how to
do the equivalent of "comparison if then"--i.e. in pseudo code

if  X < Y then
  do this
end if

with 6502/7 math. I know it's pretty basic for the guys who are really
comfortable with assembly, but they mentioned I wasn't the first person
to ask this...

For Perl and some other languages, they sometimes call this a
"cookbook", i.e. a collection of small recipes, some really basic,
some more advanced.

On my TODO for a "2600 Cookbook", I have:

6502
*set up variables-where?
   (ok locations to put variables, general overview)
*memory overview (page boundary)
   (recently i revived my perl program that can read
    a DASM list file and find those pesky conditional
    branches over page boundaries...)
*compare numbers
   (my earlie gotcha...)
*basic math
*overlay

GRAPHICS
*draw sprite
*move objects
*draw playfield
*color overview-

INPUT
*read joysticks dir
*read joystick button
*read paddle-

MISC
*make a good kernal-
*check for collisions
*overview of sounds

Just some ideas!

"Let 'em all go to hell except cave 76"
	--The 2000 year old man singing an early national anthem