Re: [stella] The Demo Image Series #9

Subject: Re: [stella] The Demo Image Series #9
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:25:20 -0800
I think the flicker might be a little too much to take for this to be viable. It's borderline. I guess it depends on the individual.

What you might experiment with is interleaving the sprites like this:

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
                             XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
                             XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

and then alternate this even/odd pattern so it would be like a "closed venitian blind" technique.

That way on every frame you'll have graphics on both sides. There is something about the flicker right now that when I shift my focus from side to side, the sprites seem to jump around as an optical illusion. If the flickering were more interleaved I think the mind would help fill in the blanks better. But I'd like to see this with a monochrome image first because I suspect that a monochrome bitmap, in the end, might be more viable because you'd only have one level of flicker. In fact, you might then be able to stack three sprites next to eachother that way to fill the full width of the screen and still have an acceptable amount of flicker.