[stella] z-Axis Movement Programming Theory Sources?

Subject: [stella] z-Axis Movement Programming Theory Sources?
From: "J Parlee" <lost_monkey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:41:26 -0400
Greetings all!

Can anyone recommend any on-line sources for theory on the mathematics involved in programming 3d movement? Or books?

I have attached the current (sloppy) bin of a game I am working on, which is based on Sega's "Cosmic Smash" for the DC.  As someone with no programming background, I am having a hard time getting my brain around some solutions for the ball movement I am trying to accomplish.  Every so-called "solution" I can currently come up with for the 3D movement ends up so convoluted that the end result is always a non-working mess... so I would like to step back and read some theory on the subject.

Known issues in the Current bin:

1. There is no gameplay (!)
2. There are some timing issues in the bottom third of the screen, affecting GRP1 and M1.
3. The playfield, and player are placeholders only.
4. It rolls, (but not severely) on my Cuttle Cart, even though it is producing 262 scanlines.

Any help with the theory would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jason