Re: [stella] New game: Ace 2600

Subject: Re: [stella] New game: Ace 2600
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:54:39 +0100
Kirk Israel wrote:
>Well, the thing I'm wondering about is how any of the 4 missiles
>has to be able to detect hits on any of the 4 players.  Wouldn't
>you tend to miss certain events if the flickering was off?

That depends on the size and speed of the objects. The smaller and
faster the objects are, the more problems you will have with
hardware collision detection.

> Or would you suggest using bounding rectangles and exact
> positioning or something?

Bounding rectangles are the other option. But since objects are
usually not shaped rectangular you might detect wrong collisions
then. And you could still miss some collisions if the missile
moves faster than the size of the bounding rectangles. And if they
travel over the edge of the bounding rectangle even slower missile
hits may not be detected.

A perfect detection would require to calculate and check *all*
intermediate points for both objects between two frames. But
that's usually not necessary. As long as the player doesn't notice
wrong or missed collisions everything is just fine.

Have fun!
Thomas