Re: [stella] random thoughts

Subject: Re: [stella] random thoughts
From: A Braunsdorf <ab@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:40:51 -0500
In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0312162155280.3787-100000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ada
m Wozniak writes:

> PAL images do funny things on my NTSC TV.  Are there better TVs which
> can sync on the different rates, or should I invest in a PAL console
> and PAL TV?  Must investigate.

Yep.  I've got some Sony studio monitors that are multi-standard.
They have a switch to make them underscan too, which is handy.  I'm
hoping that'll be more common in new TVs that have to do different
scan rates anyway.

Some NTSC TVs will sync to PAL but not decode the color.  My Sony
Vidimagics do that, for example.

You can also use video standards converters to look at things on
an NTSC (or VGA) display, but most of the cheaper ones whack the
color noticeably.  I've got a Shinybow SB-3690, which is incredibly
nifty, but it's not terribly true to color or aspect ratio.  Still,
lets you convert about anything to anything and it's affordable.

ab