[stella] need 16-bit math for JoustPong?

Subject: [stella] need 16-bit math for JoustPong?
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 29 Jan 2004 00:07:17 -0000
So if people were saying JoustPong could benefit mightily from
fractional position and/or speed...I guess I'd need 16 bit math
for all that? For a bit I thought about using a single byte, but
it probably donesn't have enough precision...is there a guide to
doing 16 bit addition/subtraction anywhere?  it seems trickier than I
first guessed it would be...
 Indeed, the Russians' predisposition for quiet reflection followed by
 sudden preventive action explains why they led the field for many
 years in both chess and ax murders.  --Marshall Brickman, Playboy 4/73