[stella] Climber 5 RC#03

Subject: [stella] Climber 5 RC#03
From: Dennis Debro <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:13:03 -0500
Hi all,

Here we go again. I've looked at the PAL colors and tried to use Z26 to help out here. Let me know if it's okay. I hate the trial and error but only a real console on a real TV will give good results.

I've move the AA logo over a pixel. I've also modified the "presents" and copyright literals. Even though I'd like to do another Climber 5 logo, I've centered it a little better (I hope).

As for the bugs reported...I *think* I've found them. Those are hard bugs to reproduce. I think the problem had to do with my collision routine. After the player retrieved the ball I wasn't checking this state on the next frame. This would cause the player to be able to be hit by an obstacle. The other bug is harder to find. I think it had to do with a condition check I had. I was doing...
.checkObstacleCollision
   ldx obstacleType                 ; get the obstacle type
   cpx #$04                         ; see if the obstacle is harmful to the climber
   lda CXPPMM                       ; read the player collisions
   bpl .overscanWait                ; if no collisions then jump to the big wait

I think the lda CXPPMM was conflicting with my cpx. I had it that way so I wouldn't get a branch out of range. I've moved the code around now so I can do...
.checkObstacleCollision
   ldx obstacleType                 ; get the obstacle type
   lda CXPPMM                       ; read the player collisions
   bpl .overscanWait                ; if no collisions then jump to the big wait
   cpx #$04                         ; see if the obstacle is harmful to the climber
   bcs .playerGirderCollision       ; if the obstacle was harmful simulate life lost

I also fixed the PAL screen jumping. Oh and one other thing...now the objects are stationary when you retrieve the ball (like the girders). If this pass then I'll move on to adding sound.

Take care,
Dennis