Re: Boston to PhillyClassic?? WAS: [stella] Krokodile Cart prototype review

Subject: Re: Boston to PhillyClassic?? WAS: [stella] Krokodile Cart prototype review
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:34:47 -0500
On Saturday 28 February 2004 09:59, KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:
> Dang, we got a lot of "massholes" in this group, (myself
> included.)

I'm sort of an ex-masshole.... grew up near Springfield, live
north of Albany now.

> Where do you guys recommend going for pizza anyway? Are you
> just talking about typical subshop stuff?  I find pizza to
> vary a lot from restuaurant to restaurant, with no real
> regional theme.

I'm partial to some local-to-Springfield places like Red Rose and
Spiro's myself, but even the regional chains like Pizzeria
Regina and Papa Gino's are distinctly Boston-style and even at
9pm on the Mass Pike can produce a better slice than any of the
more highly regarded pizza places where I live now.  The best
way I can characterize New England or Boston style pizza is like
this:  thin, but not quite as thin as New York style; far less
greasy than other varieties resulting in a crust that's actually
sort of dry and crispy; and the sauce, what there is of it, is
more pink than red, with noticeable bits of tomato pulp and far
less spicy (hardly any garlic or oregano, if you want those you
sprinkle them on at the table) than anyone else's pizza sauce.

When Domino's opened in my hometown shortly after I moved away,
it was just like any other Domino's pizza, but after my family
ordered it my mom referred to it as "lethal", most other people
felt the same way, and they closed within 6 months.

> I do miss Little Caesar's that they had in Cleveland.  I liked
> the way they did their pizza, and it was cheap...the only
> catch was they didn't deliver...

Little Caesar's was pretty good, but they all closed around here
a few years ago.  A few months back a Little Caesar's semi
passed me on the interstate, and I actually followed it to where
it was going: a local K-mart with Little Caesar's as its snack
stand.  I ordered a pie, but sadly, in the hands of the K-mart
cashiers doing double duty as pizza chefs, it was completely
disgusting.

OK, that must be my most off-topic [stella] post ever.  Sadly,
I'm way out of the way for a Boston-PhillyClassic run, so I
probably can't do any carpooling if I go at all.

Rob