Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Reflex: Source of PAIN!

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Reflex: Source of PAIN!
From: Manuel Rotschkar <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 22:48:57 +0200
Hi there!

> Stuff like `byte #%10101010' is accepted, and shouldn't be.

What's wrong with this?

The # means `immediate mode addressing'... there's no addressing mode
with a pseudo-op like `byte'. Putting the # there doesn't do anything
useful, and it has the non-useful possibility of confusing people who
are still learning 6502 assembly...

Hm... I used to interpret the # as "Use value as it's written", as opposed to "Use the content of this memory address", so doing

byte #%10101010

was a natural thing to me. Almost like escaping something with \ in a regexp in Perl. (Coming back to your original post here... :-) )

Also by following this interpretation, I was never in danger to mix-up addressing modes in the code either. I certainly did and do, like everyone else, yet I fail to see how rejecting the # in data will help anyone here.

Greetings,
	Manuel