Re: [stella] Swordquest EW hacking

Subject: Re: [stella] Swordquest EW hacking
From: Paul Slocum <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:29:11 -0500

et's see, you are a highly skilled VCS programmer who has made the system do things that would make Tod Frye drool . . . And have the benefits of emulation, full documentation, and many other things that nobody outside Atari really had in 1983. . . And you can't find it via hacking . . .

I only spent about 10 minutes looking through the ROM to find what I did. If I spent more time I'm sure I could find the solution. And I've done stuff comparable to hacking SQ without docs on the 2600 (like hacking that dot matrix printer.)

Even in 1983, it would be pretty easy to wire up the cartridge to the cart port on a C64 or Atari 800 and run the ROM through a 6502 disassembler.

Plus, that was a valuable prize they were offering, so there was decent motivation to spend time on it.

-paul