Variable flicker vs. intelligent flicker

Subject: Variable flicker vs. intelligent flicker
From: "Dennis Debro" <debrodennis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:15:53 -0400
Hi all,

Now I think I've heard these terms used interchangeably over the years. When
I talk about flicker this is how I define them...

Variable flicker would be where if sprites are found in the same zone the
program would show them on alternate frames. This is the technique used in
Ms. Pac-man.

Intelligent flicker would be an algorithm where the software would determine
the best situation to reduce flicker. For instance, if 2 sprites are in the
same zone, the algorithm would use GRP0 and GRP1 in that zone so there is no
flicker. Also if 3 three sprites are in the same zone, then you would get a
50 hertz flicker vs. a 20 hertz flicker.

That being said, has anyone seen a game that used intelligent flicker? The
only one I can think of is something like Keystone Kapers. This game doesn't
flicker but it does try to make the best use of sprites in a zone.

Take care,
Dennis