Re: [stella] New game - Fall Down

Subject: Re: [stella] New game - Fall Down
From: Erik Eid <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 16:02:53 -0400
On Sunday 22 August 2004 02:58, Aaron wrote:
> I've been posting demos of my new game on AtariAge for the past couple
> months

Hmm... how did I miss this?  Were you posting in the Homebrew forums?  I
haven't been reading those for a while, but I do keep up with the 2600 forum?

> I'm at a point where I'm probably not going to add many more features, but
> suggestions on things to change/remove/fix would be appreciated.  If
> anyone could tell me how it works on real hardware that'd be cool too.

For now I've been playing in Stella for Linux.  I noticed that the title
screen gets garbled though the game itself seems to work fine.  Maybe it's
just because it's an older Stella (1.3).

The game does have the simple and fun factor that makes for good Atari games.
There's that wish to try just one more game after one ends.

I did notice that if I press the fire button to dig a hole in a platform, all
the boxes that I've picked up disappear, rather than just one at a time.  Was
this intentional or is there a problem with the trigger debounce?

In a two-player game (or at least human against computer), when the game is
over only the winning score was displayed.  This may be an aspect of the
garbled title screen, but if not, I'd certainly like to see both scores.
There's plenty of room.

Wait, I get it - it's a high score, colored for the player that achieved it.
Still, it would be good to see the scores of the game that just finished.

Though you're not adding features, can I suggest a change in the score sound
on occasion, maybe for every ten or twenty points a player earns?  After a
while of hearing the same sound over and over again, I'd be likely to turn
the volume down on my TV.

I agree with the other members who have liked the character animation but
would like to see the background colors toned down a bit.

All in all, it's a good game.  Thanks for sharing it with us!

- Erik