Re: Re: [stella] Atari to re-release a whole bunch of stuff

Subject: Re: Re: [stella] Atari to re-release a whole bunch of stuff
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 21:59:10 +0200

Here it goes again... what's it with "7800 controllers" everywhere?
<<

In Germany the 2600jr was released in 1984 with two ProLine joysticks
included. It stayed this way untill 1989 when the 7800 was released
here. From then on both consoles came packed with the ProLine joypads.

In the USA the 2600jr was released in 1986 with one of the old
joysticks included I think. Only the 7800, which came out at the
same time, came with the ProLine joysticks. I think it always
stayed that way for the NTSC consoles. This is why the Americans
here think of the ProLine joysticks as 7800 controllers only.

Those are the standard 2600 controlers that have been sold here, at least
since the Jr. console was introduced. My first Atari in ~ 1983 already came
with these. I didn't even know the blocky cube Joysticks are existing before
seeing them Online first, only a few years ago.

And they're so much better than the old ones, especially for left-handed
players like me :-)
<<

The 2600jr also was my first Atari, so I also remember the ProLine
joysticks fondly. They are OK for 2600 games, but if you've ever
tried to play a 7800 game that uses both buttons independently
with them, you'll know why Americans are willing to import the
almost as uncomfortable ProLine joypads from Europe or Australia. ;-)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg