Re: [stella] FPGA2600 progress

Subject: Re: [stella] FPGA2600 progress
From: Thomas Boutell <boutell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:12:57 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Adam Wozniak wrote:

> FPGA2600 status update
> Sun Sep 26 07:35:29 PDT 2004
>
> My riot.vhdl is functional enough to play Space Invaders.  I cannot tell
> any difference in game play between a real riot and my FPGA.

So cool! Are you looking for someone to do the 6502 core to go
along with this? (Not that I know anything whatsoever about vhdl.)

In case anyone hasn't heard, the "other" 2600-on-a-chip project
has been bought by RetroGames LLC, which will be releasing
2600-in-a-joystick products that can actually "play all the
games" from the original ROMs rather than running reproductions of them:

http://protectedfromreality.com/2600OnAChip/

I don't think the author of 2600-on-a-chip did anything wrong here,
because I don't recall him ever asking others to help under false
pretenses that the end result would be open source or anything
similar. But it sure would be nice to have a 2600-on-a-chip project
that *was* open under a license that guaranteed it would stay that way.

--
Thomas Boutell
Boutell.Com, Inc.

Sync my card with your PDA or address book: http://tocard.biz/a7oiljb6