Re: [stella] AtariVox EEPROM file format

Subject: Re: [stella] AtariVox EEPROM file format
From: Paul Slocum <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:15:38 -0600

I agree with you, as long as it's clear what save games you are
manipulating from within a game.  That is, if Marble Craze AE (Atarivox
Enhanced) lets you delete files from Man Goes Down, it needs to be
clear that the files you are deleting are from Man Goes Down.

Games like this will use the static area. The static area has specific memory addresses allocated to specific games for saving high scores etc. I don't really think games should be able to touch other games' static areas.

But I guess I do agree that program should be allowed (but not required) to include the ability to delete any file type if the author wants to. Although I think the program should be required to include the ability to delete its own files.

In response, to Eckhard: if we decide to use a DOS-like system with 3 character extensions, personally I'd prefer to just sacrifice 11 bytes in the ROM to store the filename without splitting bits rather than sacrifice more bytes in ROM for code to encode/decode it. As I think about it, I doubt many programs are going to need to store more than 117 bytes considering there are only 128 bytes in the Atari. Most programs that use the file system will probably have text routines which generally require at least 20 bytes of temp RAM. Plus there's stack, controller handling variables, generic temp variables, etc.

And also, a 2 character extension would probably be adequate.

-paul