RE: [stella] incoming source

Subject: RE: [stella] incoming source
From: "Dennis Debro" <dennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 07:17:21 -0500
Hi there,

> It's called a Linear Feedback Shift Register (LFSR) and is pretty
> standard.
>
> Check this http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/lfsr/ web site for values
> generating maximum length sequences.

This is a good PRNG. BTW, a variation of this is used in Jawbreaker
(disassembly coming soon...I hope). From Jawbreaker...

NextRandom
   lda randomSeed
   asl
   bcc .skipXOR
   eor #$4D
.skipXOR
   sta randomSeed
   rts

> IIRC correctly, Glenn posted a nice demo here a few years ago.

Yeah...here you go.
http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/200109/msg00198.html

BTW, Larry Kaplan mentions this was derived from an article in BYTE!
magazine by Don Lancaster. I posted a question about the original article on
[stella] a couple of months back. Just to follow up, I contacted Mr.
Lancaster about the LFSR and he had no idea what I was taking about. He even
said he never heard of a LFSR :confused:

Take care,
Dennis