Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Time for a change?

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Time for a change?
From: Albert Yarusso <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:38:23 -0600
Hello,

On Feb 16, 2005, at 4:19 PM, xucaen wrote:
HI all, I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but I was just wondering
if AtariAge would be willing to create a forum specifically for this
list. Or maybe the stella list could get it's own domain and set up
it's own forum board. I would be willing to donate a few bucks towards
that.

I have discussed the possibility of creating a stella-specific forum with some other individuals, but there are probably members who prefer a mailing-list type setup and don't want to visit a website to keep up with the list. I also didn't want to create a Stella forum until we migrate to new forum software that has considerably increased flexibility over what we are using now. Forum software does have the advantages of being much easier to browse through posting history (archives), better attachment and image management, profiles for users so you can more easily see "who's who", and containing spam is easier (not that spam has been much of an issue here). You can also "subscribe" to individual topics that interest you, important and informative topics could be moved into a separate FAQ-style Stella forum for quick answers to common questions, and so forth. It could also be made invisible unless you are a member of the "Stella" forum (or forums).

It's not something I've suggested, though, since I figured many people prefer a mailing-list. And I didn't want to fragment the list by suddenly opening up a Stella forum on AtariAge. A Stella forum on its own domain ("stellaprogramming.org", "atari2600.org", or whatever) is also a possibility and is something I could easily setup on one of our servers, preferably with IBP 2.0 or vBulletin. I just don't know if the traffic the Stella list gets really warrants an entire, dedicated forum, but it does open some interesting possibilities. For instance, development logs for different projects could go into a "Projects in Development" category, where the programmer could periodically post updates, screenshots, binaries, and so forth, making a nice snapshot of a title's development history once complete (where they could then be moved into a "Completed Projects" forum for archiving).

Okay, I'll shut up now. :)

..Al

Jim