RE: [stella] Atari 2600 BASIC compiler

Subject: RE: [stella] Atari 2600 BASIC compiler
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:50:55 -0400
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Fred Quimby wrote:

> Here's the source for this for those who want to play with it on something
> other than DOS/Windows.

Ah, sweet.

> The batch file isn't too useful if you're not using DOS, so this is one way
> that you could compile the sample.bas file in a UNIX-like OS:
>
> ./2600bas<sample.bas>sample.asm
> cat 2600basic.asm sample.asm 2600basicfooter.asm > test.asm
> ./dasm test.asm -f3 -otest.bin

Works OK on Linux. One thing I noticed (that would affect DOS/Windows
too) is that 2600basic.h tries to include itself (contains "include
2600basic.h").  That caused DASM to freak out a bit...

Removed the offending line, and everything's fine. For 38 lines of code,
the sample is damn impressive :)

I could see a "n00b" learning this, then gradually adding inline asm
as he runs into the limitations of what 2600basic can do... Eventually
he'll be weaned from BASIC and the training wheels will be off.

--
B.