[stella] Stella debugger minimum window size?

Subject: [stella] Stella debugger minimum window size?
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:10:50 -0400
So Steve and I have been discussing ways to make the Stella debugger
GUI more usable. Specifically, how to display as much information as
possible on the screen at once.

Our main limiting factor is the display size. The debugger can (and
usually does) use a different window size from the regular emulation mode,
so what I'm talking about here is specifically the debugger mode only.

Currently, the debugger's minimum size is 640x480. This shouldn't be a
problem for anybody, no matter how old their PC might be.

We want to make 1024x768 the minimum instead. This will give us lots of
room to display more information, and will minimize (though not eliminate)
the need to switch between GUI tabs. However, if anyone's still using
older hardware that can't display 1024x768 (or can't display it without
giving the user a headache), they'll be stuck.

Since the entire potential userbase for the debugger is on this list,
I thought I'd take a vote here. Would you prefer:

1. Keep the minimum size at 640x480 and the tab layout basically as-is.

2. Make 1024x768 the minimum size so you can see almost everything at
    once (though you'll occasionally need the tabs still).

(Note that 800x600 isn't an option: we tried it. To make it usable,
we had to increase the font size, which took away any advantage to the
bigger display. With 1024x768, we can make the font larger and still
have more space to work with).

Let me know what you think...

--
B.